[WikiEN-l] Policy on including templates in automatic categories

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 11:01:57 UTC 2005

I've been altering templates, as and when I come across them, so that the
template itself is **not** included in the category to which it
automagically adds articles.

I've been doing this with a cunning combination of the <includeonly> and
<noinclude> tags, which enable me to add in rubric to the template warning
people that it adds articles to a category, and which category.

However I've just been reverted (here: http://tinyurl.com/7b7gw ) with the
explanation "rv, it's important for these templates to be a member of their
category".

First off, I disagree: I think it clutters up the categories pointlessly
with **self references** which are evil(TM).

Second, in this particular case, the template doesn't even appear unless you
know which letter to click in the {{CategoryTOC}}.

Third, the template is already documented in the category description (here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Book_covers ) perfectly adequately.

Whatever, I'm wondering whether there is a policy on this, since these tags
are so new, and if so where is it?

Rather than enter into a revert war, I'd rather thrash it out properly
first.

In parallel with this, I'm wondering whether there is a case for having more
than one "category-like" namespace, so that we can have a separate set of
"categories" for project-related stuff. For example, the automagic
[[category:articles which survived deletion]] (or something like that
anyway) was removed from the {{oldvfd/oldafd/oldvfdfull/oldafdfull}}
templates, on the grounds that it was self-referential. The thing was that
it is actually useful information to keep track of, and having one central
place for it, rather than scanning laboriously "what links here" lists for
several templates. It would have been nice if we could have had something
like [[wikipedia-category:articles which survived deletion]] to keep this
stuff in.

HTH HAND
--
Phil