[WikiEN-l] Category:Soviet spies

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:15:16 UTC 2005

No, but we do have [[Category:Rapists]]. However the description page
for the category says that "This category is for individuals who have
been convicted of rape, or those for whom there is little academic
doubt as to whether they committed the crime."

If we limited [[Category:Soviet spies]] to people who had been
convicted or for cases where there is little academic doubt, it would
be a pretty small list. That's part of the reason that the people
opposed to renaming the category are opposed to it -- it de-emphasizes
the point they want to make (see my last posting) if the category is
small.

You couldn't classify Ethel Rosenberg as a "Soviet spy" in this
definition -- there is considerable academic doubt whether she
participated in espionage. There is no doubt that she was convicted
for it*, though -- it is a plain fact.

FF

*Well, technically for "conspiracy to commit espionage", but now we're
splitting hairs.