[WikiEN-l] Re: Try out the rating scheme

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:04:02 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:

> geni wrote:
> > Just find someone with serves access to a non mediawiki wiki and turn
> > it on and see what happens. If all else fails the person who runs the
> > other wiki project I work on would love to have this feature.
> >

> I think you meant "non-wikimedia" - given that we're talking about
> features of Mediawiki...

err yes.

> Actually, given the number of customisations that have been carried out
> to our wikis, I'm not entirely sure that the results would be valid. We
> need the exact same conditions with only 1 variable changed (the
> presence of the validation feature) for the results to be valid in any way.

If we were looking at wether it would be a bulk server hog I think we
could get away with that. Hardwear setups would be more of an issue
but even limited data is better than none

> Given that Commons has traditionally been a place of innovation and
> trying out new features, why not start there?

Because rateing the kind of material they have there doesn't make a
hudge amount of sense. If we wanted to test it on a smaller wikimedia
project then one of the non english wikipedias would be most logical.
Which one would depend on the size of test you wanted to carry out.

--
geni