[WikiEN-l] RFA idiocy (was Slipping quality as Wikipedia getsbigger (formerly Can you trust Wikipedia?))

Michelle jareth at crimsonblade.net
Fri Nov 4 02:31:28 UTC 2005

><snip>As an admin you are going to have people
>hate you. You are going to have situations where you are under
>pressure. <snip>
>--
>geni

Of course you are, but does that mean intentionally putting oneself in
the line of fire?  I think that the amount of work I do cleaning
backlogs could also be helpful in the admin realm; its not about getting
a rollback button -- I can do that anyways.  I'm concerned though,
should I go for adminship, the nit-picking (as I see it) that currently
goes on would do a lot to sour me against the entire project; it can
really take the wind out of your sails.

I work in a similar environment -- we don't have a manager, team members
nominate themselves for tasks.  If we had the same level of bickering
going on we'd never get a thing done and we'd create a lot of mistrust.
Its not quite the same in a large environment like Wikipedia, but its
counterproductive none the less.  There's a knack and a bit of tact
necessary to deliver good constructive criticism and those skills are
currently lacking as a whole in the RFA process.

--Jareth