[WikiEN-l] Press badges

Katefan0 katefan0 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 16:12:58 UTC 2005

Wikipedia could issue them, I suppose.  The question
is whether or not they'd be accepted by whatever event
you're trying to photograph.  Your credentials are
only as good as the organization that issued them.

If you walk up with a credential around your neck and
a flack asks what news organization you're with, and
you say Wikipedia, you may get booted back to the
cheap seats.  You may not.  It just depends.  Also,
some organizations have rigid credentialing rules
(like the U.S. Congress, which background checks
everybody and issues its own special credentials, or
most metro police departments).  At small events, you
can wear a handwritten tag around your neck and as
long as you look like you belong, generally nobody
bothers you.  It's all about circumstance and place,
really.

Kate (girl reporter)