[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia & Original Research

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:50:49 UTC 2005

Obviously photos by individuals used to make *novel* points or to
unfairly underscore POV claims should not be allowed. But this is just
a standard interpretation of WP:NPOV applied to this medium, yes? I'm
not sure this is a source-based issue, it reads like a straightforward
NPOV question to me.

Images can be highly deceptive, as any student of media knows. I'm not
sure that fact changes our policy in any way, though -- it would seem
implied in it that POV is POV, whether expressed in text, image,
audio, etc. Images can have POV, with or without a caption -- if it
can't be attributed to a notable source and discussed ("Famous Soviet
photographer so-and-so set up this image to make it look as though the
Soviets were just now conquering Berlin, though we now know etc.
etc.") then it can't be allowed in, same as anything else.

FF