[WikiEN-l] Re: The promise is "edit this page"

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 18:15:16 UTC 2005

>>From: Timwi <timwi at gmx.net>
>> We promise that you can "edit this page," not
>> "create an article." The policy
>> is "zero-threshold editing," not
>> "zero-threshold article creation.'

>This is just hair-splitting. Just because we've never mentioned page
>creation in any sort of "promise", doesn't mean we should stop offering it.

We should stop offering it because IMHO a very small threshold for creating
an article--such as creating a free, anonymous account--would be more helpful
to our goal of building "a free encyclopedia that anyone can edit" than a
zero threshold for creating an article.

And my point is that we would not breaking any explicit or implied promise by
so doing.

I heard Grace Hopper talk once, and she said "I am going to give you a gift.
For the rest of the life, every time you say the words 'because we have
always done it that way,' my ghost will appear and haunt you for twenty-four
hours.'"