[WikiEN-l] Images on Wikipedia

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:24:34 UTC 2005

On 10/31/05, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, if you think we should act contrary to policy, _changing the
> policy_ rather than asserting it's overly zealous may be the better
> way of going about it.

Exactly. Rather than getting mad at people for enforcing a fairly
clear policy, discuss it on the policy page.

On 10/31/05, Tom Cadden <thomcadden at yahoo.ie> wrote:
> Politeness is. Informing people why he is doing things
> is elementary politeness. Checking facts rather than
> blanket unexplained deletions is elementary. And
> evidence that he actually knows what he is doing is a
> help.

"Informing people" -- ahead of time or afterwards? We can't inform
every interested party before we enforce a policy (whether you
disagree with it or not is unimportant in this instance). First off,
we don't know necessarily know who those people are. Second, they
aren't necessarily the people whose authority matters in respect to
policy or legal issues. Third, interested parties will notice changes
made and will, ideally, inquire as to why they are being made. Nothing
is permanent here, so no real harm is done.

FF