[WikiEN-l] More fodder for your editcountitis

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:09:09 UTC 2005

On 01/11/05, charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> uninvited at nerstrand.net wrote
>
> > There are 661 admins on en.wikipedia.  Of these, 461 were active during
> > the month of October, 2005.  They deleted 60313 pages [...]
>
> A striking number, i.e. 2000 per day.  More than the amount of honest page
> creation.

How many are honestly created? Interesting question.

Special:Newpages stalls just shy of 55,000 (I think only counting
article-space creations, but including redirects) and that's 12:42 on
the 2nd of October, close enough to a full month. So we've a
discrepancy of only a few thousand pages between "junk" and "viable";
the sixty thousand deletions a month means we're deleting about half
of what turns up, and when you factor in recent large-scale image
purges[1] we're probably letting more than half of the page creations
through.

I'm surprised that high a fraction survives, in all honesty, having
done new-pages patrol a few times before!

[1] Anyone know how many articles were killed last month, OOI?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk