[WikiEN-l] Temporary appointments to the Arbitration Committee

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Jul 22 00:03:34 UTC 2005

The Arbitration Committee needs new members.  They are down to 6; 2 are
on holiday, 3 have resigned, and 1 is permanently inactive.  This means
that majority decisions pass with only 4 votes, which is fine in a
sense, but may not provide the needed level of detailed analysis that
each case deserves.

The last vote was unbelievably rancorous and a huge pain in the neck for
everyone, to no obviously good purpose, and yet I am committed in the
long run to appointing people based on the results of community votes.
But for an emergency, I don't think we need to go through that whole
process.

Therefore, I am appointing some special members for the next 6 months
(to cover the period until the next election), at the advice (and plea
for help!) of the existing arbcom and (ultimately) my own judgment about
who seems to be available and would do a good job.

JamesF
Fennec
JayJG

This is an absolutely horrible job, guaranteed to earn you general
condemnation for being both a wimp and a tyrant, and I most sincerely
apologize to the poor victims I am pulling into our service here.

There will be an additional appointment as soon as I confirm what
appears to be the case, which is that Nohat is sadly leaving the
position as well.

--Jimbo