[WikiEN-l] More on British Copyright and used-with-permission images

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Jul 5 14:11:07 UTC 2005

Thank you again, Andrew. I think your
latest letter clears up the remaining
doubt.

I think most of us here would agree that
we would have an excellent [[lex ferenda]]
case for using a picture of this priceless
mediæval manuscript. According to Andrew's
sources, on the other hand, it seems that
the [[lex lata]] in Britain is very much
against our interests.

Now, when this picture was submitted into
Wikipedia no-one bothered to ask for permission,
assuming on the basis of U.S. law that the use
was legal anyhow. It is possible that such
permission could be obtained. Would that be
useful or would we rather forego having the
image at all? (It could possibly be replaced
by a scan from an old out of copyright
mediocre quality black-and white photo.)

Or should we continue to blithely ignore the
law outside of the U.S. amidst heartfelt
proclamations of "free" meaning "free for
anyone in the world"?

Regards,
Haukur