[WikiEN-l] My rant

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 20:25:48 UTC 2005

Yet again another attempt to make Wikipedia into something completely different.  Why do you keep doing this?  You are not going to succeed in getting the project corrupted into your version of reality.

RickK

NSK <nsk2 at wikinerds.org> wrote:
On Tuesday 25 January 2005 03:09, Christopher Mahan wrote:
> I'm pissed, and I want to rant. (you've been warned)

I understand you completely; the problem in Wikipedia is that authors start
writing without discussing, planning and organising their efforts. In my wiki
projects I will try to follow a different approach, and I believe Wikipedia
should consider a change in its attitudes. Here is my design:
1. The wiki is just a place to store articles. Discussions in the wiki are
prohibited.
2. The Talk: pages are renamed Test: pages and all the writing and
collaborative writing happens there.
3. Non-Test pages (i.e. the real articles) are protected and only admins can
edit them.
4. The authors are using a mailing list, a phpBB forum and a special
collaboration platform to discuss and decide how to write the article. An
example of a very good collaboration platform is phpCollab.
5. There are Article Maintainers who check for copyright violations and check
the references, et cetera.
6. Every article is developed in a software-like fashion, i.e. there are
versions and when the mains (maintainers) approve an article it will be
checked by the admins. The admins then publish the article in a non-Test page
(i.e. the main namespace) and give to it a unique version number such as 1.4.

You can learn more about this design at
http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/Help:Editing_process

Some additional info about versions exists at
http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/Help:Article_versions

--
NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org/freehosting