[WikiEN-l] Re: minor issue, but still a npov warning

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Sun Jan 16 22:24:30 UTC 2005

I'm talking about the English part but I imagine it applies to the
whole. Yes of course my bias shows, I don't try to hide it. But bias is
not the problem (everyone has bias), the issue is too many people with
one kind of bias, aka a lack of diversity (compared with the english
speaking population i.e.). Wikipedians are disproportionately white and
male, disproportionately American, and disproportionately from white
collar backgrounds. In my opinion one of the best ways to counter such
systemic bias is to systematically recruit editors who are not white,
male, American, or from a white collar background. I don't think this
is a point worth arguing about or taking offense on, it's just worth
getting on and dealing with it.

Christiaan