[WikiEN-l] Raul's 6th law of Wikipedia confirmed

Mark Pellegrini mapellegrini at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 05:32:54 UTC 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/Raul%27s_laws - Raul's 6th law
of Wikipedia (formulated in November, 2004):

"Wikipedia's steadily increasing popularity means that within the next
year or two, we will begin to see organized corporate astroturfing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing> campaigns."

Prediction confirmed - August 28, 2005 -
http://www.smh.com.au/news/icon/wikipedia-worries/2005/08/23/1124562860192.html

"However, the concern continues. One anonymous reader contacted
Boingboing telling them he worked at a marketing company that uses
Wikipedia for its online marketing strategies.."That includes planting
of viral information in entries, modification of entries to point to new
promotional sites or 'leaks' embedded in entries to test diffusion of
information. Wikipedia is just a more transparent version of [online
meeting place] Myspace as far as some companies are concerned. We love it."

--Mark
(User:Raul654)