[WikiEN-l] Censorship by vfd

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Sep 30 14:23:02 UTC 2004

See my post at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/
We_believe_in_human_dignity&action=edit&section=1

Jongarrettuk, David Remahl, Benc, Neutrality, and Mikkalai have "voted"
to delete this short article (which I wrote) because it's "Non-notable
political propaganda".

I beg to differ. It's one of the 3 most significant speeches of George
W. Bush's career, and if it's propaganda then we SHOULD have an article
in which some political expert SAYS it's propaganda.

I suspect the motive to "delete" is really censorship, i.e., the desire
to make it harder for Wikipedians to find out what Bush is saying about
world affairs. Part of this dovetails with the Kerry campaign's POV, the
constant refrain that Bush has nothing of substance to say about Iraq or
anything else for that matter.

A major service Wikipedia provides is to bring hidden facts to light. If
one politician says "My opponent A has NEVER spoken about X", then it
can make a big difference to our readers whether a quick Wikipedia
search turns up:

* nothing by A about X, or
* an obscure reference by A about X, or
* a public speech by A to a major world body about X

Maybe the article should be moved to a more bland title. Instead of "We
believe in human dignity", call it [[George Bush speech at the United
Nations on September 21, 2004]]

... Or whatever our naming convention is for speeches.

Ed Poor