[WikiEN-l] Australian images

Chris Sherlock csherlock at mail.ljh.com.au
Thu Sep 30 12:09:04 UTC 2004

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I'm a newbie to the list), but the Australian users on the "Wikipedia:Australian wikipedians' notice board" would like to use some images that we will not be able to license under the GFDL or any other copyleft like license. The reason for this is because Australia does not have any fairuse legislation, and we require permission for images that are under 50 years old - even if they are from the Australian government.

For instance, we have recently started collaborating on the Cyclone Tracy article and I took off my image and had to list it on Images for Deletion because I didn't secure permission before uploading it. Yes, very naughty I know! In the meantime I have found some extremely excellent images. I have purchased one (URL for the image is http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/picturescatalogue?action=PCDisplay&mode=display&rs=resultset-5743&no=13) and the other seems to be from the government archives and is probably OK to use also (see http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pictureaustralia?action=PASearch&mode=display&rs=resultset-2609&no=1). My question is: will I be allowed to upload and use them in the article? I will have to apply a restrictive license.

I realise that this is not the best situation, but in some cases we will be unable to use images for some recent historical events if we are unable to upload such images. This would really be a shame :(

Anyway, apologies if this has been asked and debated before, but I would really appreciate feedback on this issue.

Thanks,
Chris (Ta bu shi da yu)