[WikiEN-l] [lstruwe at hotmail.com: Wikipedia serious copyright infringement...

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 02:15:11 UTC 2004

I looked at the original site. While some of the material was clearly copied,
and it seems obvious that the site mentioned was used as a source, other
material there was reworked and we added various wikipedia characteristics,
including a taxbox, which did not appear in the original article. I therefore
restored the article, and removed the material that was copied directly.

In general, we are getting an increasing number of complaints about copyright
violation. While we should always be on guard against this, we should not let
this tear down material that was created. Information per se cannot be
copyrighted. Our taxoboxes and other, similar features are uniquely Wikipedian. In
this case, some of the material was salvagable. It would be a pity to remove
that.

Danny