[WikiEN-l] Re: Zero0000 has blocked Lance6Wins

zero 0000 nought_0000 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 06:28:55 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> If you think we get silly complaints now about sysop abuse, just
> imagine what it would be like if we let sysops win arguments over
> content by blocking people who disagree.

Of course you are right.  However, I did not block him to win
an argument over content but to stop his vandalism.  The issue
was not over the content of the material but the fact that
his only source for it was a pirate radio station well known
for inventing news stories.  He has been inserting material
from this same source for months despite repeated complaints
from many editors, and the time has passed for it to be
regarded as vandalism.  If the same material is found in a
respectable source, there would be no problem.

Having said that, in my frustration it appears that I went
further than the rules for dealing with vandals permit.
As you say, I should have consulted another sysop.  I won't
do it again.  In fact I might not do anything again as I am
reconsidering my involvement in Wikipedia altogether.  This
is not a reaction to this particular event but a more general
issue that I will write a separate note on.

--Zero