[WikiEN-l] Biased "current events" stories

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Sep 19 15:16:43 UTC 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muqtada_al-Sadr

is my own favorite example, and also the site of one of my extremely
rare personal ventures into editing.

There was a time when this article was heavily slanted in an anti-US
fashion.  The important tidbit is that the article went significantly
beyond all mainstream sources in claiming that the U.S. broke the
truce agreement.  In fact, all mainstream sources were very vague on
that point; there seems to be little information about what the truce
agreement actually consisted of, and little information about how the
fighting started again.

However, my experience in helping on the article was quite good, but
of course people may pay me more deference than I would otherwise
deserve on the merits of my writing.  My sense of it, though, and I do
a *lot* of reading on talk pages and edit histories of controversial
pages, is that the majority of contributors are willing to work with
others to find a way to ensure that we don't make claims that go
beyond the best available evidence.

(I have not read the current version of the article.)

--Jimbo