[WikiEN-l] Biased "current events" stories

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Sep 17 18:03:00 UTC 2004

Much Wikipedian rewriting of AP, Guardian and other news stories about
the Bush Administration and Iraq slants the coverage even more those
anti-US sources had already slanted the stories. This has got to stop.

Wikipedia news coverage should not be slanted in ANY direction.

Don't argue your points in news stories. Don't omit one side and
emphasize another side, especially when the source you are quoting
includes both sides.

The US point of view is that they are liberating an oppressed Iraqi
populace from a bloodthirsty, power-mad dictator. We should neither
endorse nor oppose this POV.

The rebels' point of view as that they are fighting against an imperial
takeover aimed at subjugating an independent Iraqi populace for selfish
and nationalistic purposes. We should neither endores nor oppose this
POV.

News stories tend to play up the "rebels vs. US" angle. They are quick
to quote local witnesses who insinuate that the US is killing civilians
wontonly in a war of aggression; this bolsters the argument that "the US
is wrong". Please note that Wikipedia must not endorse or oppose this
argument.

If you want to argue that the US is guilty of war crimes, start a blog.
Or write a general article which QUOTES prominent sources as making this
argument. But don't sneak it into news stories. I'm asking you, please.

Ed Poor
A supporter of Jimbo's NPOV policy