[WikiEN-l] Approval marking (was: Why Academics are Useful to Wikipedia)

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:06:05 UTC 2004

I have to say that the oppertunity to get wikipedia on a CD-Rom is
very tempting! I am a student and to have at hand plently of articles
about Computing, Physics, Music Technology etc will be a great asset!
The internet is too crap to find info now, I think this would appeal
to a lot of people. Make it Open Source too! :-)

I think for the 1% of articles there are regular disputes over, they
should just not be included. If they cant behave then the article wont
get on a CD-Rom. Shame, but a stop has to come somewhere.

If a CD were released, I can see it being taken by libraries and
public institutions - many pay outrageous prices for encycolpedic
CD's, so this would be a great oppertunity (I know my college is
strapped for cash and cant afford to get 1000+ licenses of Encarta
every year)

This has got me all worked up now :-)

Regards,

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:43:35 -0700, Poor, Edmund W
<edmund.w.poor at abc.com> wrote:
> For more than 90% of articles, there have been no reversion wars. The
> latest version is accurate, uncontroversial and fairly well
> spell-checked & copy-edited.
>
> Of the remaining 10% of articles, there are some subjects which would
> benefit from some sort of approval marking system. Still, I hope for
> these that we will include the 'development version' along with any
> 'approved' versions in Wikipedia 1.0 print or DVD publications.
>
> For that fraction of 1% which are highly controversial, approval marking
> is not really an issue. No academic or cleric has sufficient authority
> to settle the hottest disputes of our times.
>
> So let's concentrate on putting into effect a system which will boost
> consumer acceptance of 90% to 99% of our articles. Librarians aren't
> warning students against our global warming or Invasion of Iraq articles
> -- or at least we don't care much if they do. But it would be nice if
> our math and physics articles, as well as our non-controversial history
> and biology articles, could get some respect.
>
> Ed Poor
> Who has thought about this a lot, while reading Snow, Mayer, et al.

Matthew Larsen