[WikiEN-l] Why Academics are Useful to Wikipedia

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Mon Sep 13 20:53:23 UTC 2004

>> Um what's to stop the expert making a mistake and not realising that
>> he
>> has insufficient expertise?
>
> The scenario is that Wikipedia editors have found an expert with a
> proven
> track-record in the specific subject area of the article, and
> solicited his
> opinion. In this scenario, the expert's track-record provides some
> evidence
> that the expert has the expertise -- we wouldn't be relying on his or
> her
> self-evaluation. Such evidence could never be conclusive, but I think
> it's a
> lot better than none at all.
>
> -- Matt (User:Matt Crypto)

This is NOT a choice between one single person's academic accreditation
vs. one single person's self-evaluation.
It's a choice between the ''collective'' wisdom and joint assessment of
a larger group of people** vs. one single person's academic
accreditation.

** some of them likely will just so happen to hold academic degrees
themselves, without that ever being an issue or getting mentioned

- Jens