[WikiEN-l] Re: Re: Re: VfD is broken

Chris Wood standsongrace at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 02:05:56 UTC 2004

> Unfortunately, the things which CAN be quickly deleted are very limited.
Right now, there is a huge number of pages written by a troll named [[El
Coronado]] which are obvious fiction, but they are not allowed to be speedy
deleted, because obviously false information is not an acceptable condition
(by some) for speedy deletion.  Instead, we have to go through the
cumbersome VfD process to get rid of them.  If obviously false information
was an accpetable criterion, then we could have gotten rid of all of this
user's creations already, and we wouldn't have several different entries on
VfD for them.

> If there were no VfD, what would be the inclusionists' acceptable process
for getting rid of this false information?

I don't think any "inclusionists" have argued to get rid of VfD. We're just
saying it isn't working like it was originally designed to. I don't have an
alternative process, just a recommendation that people actually follow
policy on which articles should be listed on VfD - this is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Importance

> It took a great deal of work and research by several people actively
involved in the VfD process to make this into a useable article.  Would
those of you objecting to VfD actually have preferred that it have remained
as it was in its original state?
> I am an active participant in [[Cleanup]].  But there are hundreds of
articles listed there that never get worked on.  By putting a 5-day deadline
on them on the VfD page, we get some very reasonable articles, which then
get kept.  VfD is NOT just a "deletionist" playground, it's a serious effort
by many people to make decent articles, or to figure out what to do with
articles that aren't decent.

We are saying "improve the article, don't delete it , if the article is
important (Wikipedia:Importance) enough". VfD is not about improvement, it's
about deletion. Cleanup is about improvement. Yes, there are some articles
(less than hundreds) which are never worked on. Yet surely that is better
than the hundreds which are deleted, not because they don't belong in
Wikipedia, but because they aren't good enough?