[WikiEN-l] Re: 'Michael' unbanned

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Sep 4 02:21:03 UTC 2004

I want to say a word about this demand for an apology.

I have advised Mike that he should apologize. He agreed. He also told me that
he sent an email to Heph expressing his regret for what he did. I do not know
if he did or not, but in this instance, I choose to act in good faith and
believe Mike. In his own unique way, he wrote to me today: "To my knowledge, I do
apologize." In an earlier email he wrote: "I do apologize to him for calling
him a bastard and thinking he is bad for something. I will try to get Zoe,
Hephaestos to come back and let them know that I apologize to them and not let
them be angry." (I corrected three typos for clarity)

What seems to be happening here is that Rick is demanding a public apology.
Personally, I do not think this is necessary. One thing I would hope we can all
do is act in good faith. We all stand to benefit from encouraging Mike to
keep to his part of the agreement, make accurate edits, and act respectfully
toward others. Our best bet to achieve this is to act respectfully toward him, be
welcoming of him, and point out any mistakes he makes in a friendly,
supportive manner.

I encourage Rick and all others who are skeptical to be vigilant. As Jimbo
pointed out, this new agreement is an experiment. At the same time, I encourage
them to participate in the experiment and to help it succeed. We all stand to
benefit from it.

Danny