[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Thu Nov 6 17:27:18 UTC 2003

"Jimmy Wales" <jwales at bomis.com> schrieb:

> There is no reason for a rule which says that all articles have to be
> either useful or deleted, which is what you're implying.

Well, I think that that is a very sensible rule. There is no reason to
have something that is useless.

> Take for example "Talossan language" which you listed on VfD.
> This article is a stub, and I guess you're saying that it should be
> either improved right away or deleted.

No. When he put it on VfD, it was a stub with information that on the
face on it seemed false, and probably it was.

> I think that's mistaken.  The most important thing to remember is that
> if left there, it *doesn't hurt anything*.

Now that is where I disagree with you. I think it *does* hurt

> And since, as it turns
> out, this is a known topic that several other people have heard about,
> there's a fair change that someone will stumble on the article at some
> point and find it useful, even if it stays just the way it is.

Then again, there is also the chance that someone would have stumbled
upon it before it was changed, and have believed that there was a country
called the 'Kingdom of Talossa' with Talossan as its national language.
Maybe _that_ could be considered harmful, no?

The only thing that went wrong with Talossan language, in my opinion,
is that it is _still_ on Votes for Deletion, basically cluttering it,
although there is already a clear majority for keeping, and the reasons
that were there for deletion do no longer apply. The original act of
putting it there was completely justified.

Andre Engels