[WikiEN-l] User:Harry Potter

Peter Bartlett pcb21 at btconnect.com
Fri May 30 23:56:40 UTC 2003

Dear list,

Please may I ask for your advice and assistance in pouring oil on
troubled water with respect to [[User:Harry Potter]].

This user has been starting or contributing to articles relating to
pataphysics, which is a movement that parodies things that are
pretentiously highbrow (as I understand it, pataphysics is to science
and the arts, as Mornington Crescent (the game show) was to chess
commentary.) Unfortunately Harry, instead of writing NPOV articles on
the subject has been writing articles about pataphysics in the style of
a pataphysican. this is to say in a deliberately obscure , obtuse and
POV way. Moreover these articles are in fact generally copied from other
websites with no sign of permission being sought. Harry has brushed this
last problem with a claim that pataphysicans are anti-copyright and so
it doesn't matter.

One example is the page
[[Anthony_Hancock_Paintings_and_Sculptures:_A_Retrospective_Exhibition]]
.
NB Anthony Hancock is a character in the film The Rebel played by,
perhaps confusingly, Tony Hancock. Knowing that Anthony Hancock is/was
not a real person makes it easier to understand why this article is
rubbish.

I have tried to engage in a debate with Harry (see Votes For Deletion),
but as a relative newbie, I do not how to handle him and persuade to
conform to our rules if he wants to contribute to the Wikipedia. For the
first time having been on the 'net for years I fear I have been properly
trolled.

Pete
User:Pcb21