[WikiEN-l] A request from H. Jonat

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 28 00:38:43 UTC 2003

H. Jonat wrote me a nice letter, expressing concern that when her name
is searched for at google, the bulk of what is found is wikipedia talk
pages and wikipedia mailing list postings that are sharply critical of
her.  She resents the accusation that she is 'right wing' and in any
event doesn't like this turn of events.

Now, some might say, well, if you don't want your name to be
associated on the Internet with various things, then don't write in
thus-and-such a way, and they'd be right of course.

But since Helga requested nicely that perhaps we could do something
about this, I am thinking that perhaps we could refactor some pages.

This part is important: I presume, and I asked her, that if we did
this, she would agree to simply part company with us peacefully.  ALSO
IMPORTANT: She did not threaten to stay if we don't do this, she did
not make this as a tit-for-tat offer or request, she did not make any
kind of legalistic or other threat.

It sounds to me like she may regret ever getting mixed up with
wikipedia, and would like to simply go away.  It would be helpful to
this process if we refactored some pages.

Thoughts?

Wikipedia holds no grudges, of course, and if people who have been
controversial wish to end things peacefully, then that's great as far
as I am concerned.

--Jimbo