[WikiEN-l] Mention that Bomis hosts Wikipedia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 21:38:51 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 02:51 am, wikien-l-request at wikipedia.org wrote:
> The bottom of [[fr:Accueil]], the French Wikipedia's home page, contains
> the text "Site gracieusement hébergé par _Bomis_", with a link to the
> website. Loosely translated, it says, "Site graciously hosted by Bomis."
> Should we add something like this to the [[en:Main Page]], e.g., "Thanks to
> [[Bomis]] (www.bomis.com) for hosting the Wikipedia!"? It's awfully nice of
> them to provide for what's probably the last big site on the Internet
> without banner ads and popups; we really ought to say thanks somehow, and
> at the least give them a bit of traffic.
>
> -Geoffrey

Actually I just tried to go to http://www.bomis.com on my work's computer and
was blocked by our censorware because Bomis has sports content and/or porn in
its directory (we had to install this censorware to make sure state workers
don't spend half their day reading sports or looking at porn).

That is fine with me except for the possibility that by having such a link to
Bomis.com on en.wiki's Main Page we may get Wikipedia similarly blacklisted
(thus blocking about 100,000 California state workers from even reading
Wikipedia).

Something to think about at the very least...

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)