[WikiEN-l] Alternative to Blanking Pages

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue May 27 09:04:22 UTC 2003

cprompt wrote:

>Instead of blanking articles why not replace the article text with a
>redirect to a boilerplate text with something along the lines of "The
>content of this article is being disputed. It has been blanked for the
>time being, though older version are still accessible through the Page
>History. It may have been blanked because of blatantly false
>information, or non-encyclopedic garbage. This article may be awaiting
>[[votes for deletion]], or awaiting a sysop to delete it. Please use the
>Talk Page to discuss this dispute if necessary, and check [[Votes for
>Deletion]]"

This is a good idea, to which I'd suggest one change:
Make several boilerplate text pages to redirect to,
and choose the appropriate one in each case.
None of this "It may have ...", "[it] may be ..." stuff.
And such boilerplate texts have already been written in many cases;
it'd just be easier to redirect than to cut and paste.

-- Toby