[WikiEN-l] Alternative to Blanking Pages

cprompt cprompt at tmbg.org
Tue May 27 01:09:07 UTC 2003

I was going to start doing this myself, but I figured it'd be better if
people talked about it first, and more effective if they knew about it.

Instead of blanking articles why not replace the article text with a
redirect to a boilerplate text with something along the lines of "The
content of this article is being disputed. It has been blanked for the
time being, though older version are still accessible through the Page
History. It may have been blanked because of blatantly false
information, or non-encyclopedic garbage. This article may be awaiting
[[votes for deletion]], or awaiting a sysop to delete it. Please use the
Talk Page to discuss this dispute if necessary, and check [[Votes for
Deletion]]"

I wouldn't recommend that exact text be used, but basically, my idea is
to redirect articles to a boilerplate text explaining what's going on
rather than just blanking them.
That way, Googlers and people who located the article in the index or
search function will know what's going on.