[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia for education

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 15:36:07 UTC 2003

--- Sheldon Rampton <sheldon.rampton at verizon.net>

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=16-1560253460-2

> [...]
> textbooks" involves a
> whole lot more than the decision to mention or not
> mention some
> monument. My old school textbooks never mentioned
> the genocide
> against Native Americans, and judging from Larner's
> account, it seems
> that this is something that ought to be mentioned
> when students learn
> about Mount Rushmore -- unless, of course, we think
> "history" should
> consist solely of self-congratulatory propaganda.
>
> (3) With regard to depictions of things like "junk
> food,"
> unfortunately there is no shortage of this in our
> schools. Channel
> One, a for-profit company, provides video equipment
> and programming
> to many cash-strapped schools throughout America, in
> exchange for
> which the schools have signed contracts promising to
> show kids a
> daily quota of TV commercials for companies like
> Pizza Hut. There is
> a long and sad story (which I will truncate here)
> involving the use
> of schools as marketing venues for fat- and
> sugar-laden fast foods.
> If anyone wants to know more about this, read Marion
> Nestle's
> excellent book, "Food Politics." (Nestle is a
> nutritionist who bears
> no relation to the chocolate company.) One school
> got so carried away
> by these promotional activities a few years back
> that it actually
> suspended a student for the "disruptive" thought
> crime of wearing a
> Pepsi T-shirt to a Coke Day rally. Here's an
> interview with the
> student that I personally found amusing:
> http://www.fadetoblack.com/interviews/mikecameron/
>
> The bottom line is that all sorts of forces --
> commercial, political
> and social -- take an interest in influencing the
> way we educate our
> youth. It isn't just coming from some "politically
> correct" clique.
> And should we expect or want things otherwise? I
> think most of us
> *hope* school boards would step in and exert
> editorial oversight if a
> textbook referred to black people as "niggers" or
> described Hitler as
> a great man. Judgments about appropriate content for
> textbooks don't
> qualify as "censorship," and different people are
> bound to have
> different views about what is and isn't appropriate.
> Some people may
> think that a decision not to mention Mount Rushmore
> is absurd and
> ridiculous. Outside our national cult of patriotism,
> however, I
> imagine some folks in Europe and elsewhere think it
> is equally absurd
> and ridiculous that Americans would revere a

I'm lucky. I don't have to worry about censorship in
my social studies class. The textbooks (20 years old)
censor some (not as much as the modern, colorful
textbooks), but my social studies teacher fills in the
gaps. I also look things in Wikipedia that I learn
from  social studies class if they sound funny.
--LittleDan