[WikiEN-l] Re: Lir and his clones

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 23 22:06:47 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

>--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>>My concern and support about the much bruited
>>foundation has not been
>>based on the actions of our present dictator, but on
>>insuring long term
>>continuity that would protect the project and make
>>it self-sustaining
>>far into the future.
>>
>>Ec
>>

>So you think that wikipedia will slowly die out if we
>never make the Wikimedia foundation?
>--LittleDan

No, that's not what I said. There are any number of unfortunate things
that could happen to Jimbo which would leave the project in a difficult
situation. It is prudent to develop contingency plans for these events.
It would also be prudent to develop diversity in our funding sources
instead of depending on one person for everything. If you want to
develop a sound investment portfolio you invest in several different
kinds of shares; those people who only had Enron in their portfolios
only have themselves to blame for the results.

In the long run (up to 95 years into the future) who makes sure that the
project's copyrights are protected from people who want to claim them as
their own?

Also, how do we deal with those of our colleagues who would ruthlessly
ban or who would easily forget the important principle of openness. To
me, what the Foundation is all about is members taking responsibility
instead of privileges.

Ec