[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia for education

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Fri May 23 13:44:52 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:

>  I heard a news story the other day that in
>  California, textbooks
>  are now forbidden to mention Mount Rushmore.  See:
>  http://www.wtvw.com/Global/story.asp?S=1288473

Well...for starters, I'd personally recommend being wary about any
information that comes from the blow-dried "talent" on Fox News. In
any case, here's the "rest of the story":

(1) The news story above (by a woman named Ann Moore, who apparently
does a regular feature called "The Moore You Know") cites a number of
examples of alleged neutering of textbooks, all seemingly for reasons
of leftist "political correctness," such as not allowing the
representation of women as nurses, depictions of junk food, etc.
However, she doesn't mention any specific textbooks in which this has
happened.

(2) With regard to Mount Rushmore, the story is a bit more
complicated than Moore's brief mention suggests. Back in the days
when I was in school, my textbooks didn't mention that the guy who
built Mount Rushmore was a leader in the Ku Klux Klan. Here's a
discussion from a review of a book on the subject by Jesse Larner:

>There are complex stories behind those faces on Mount Rushmore that
>have been edited out of the guidebooks and textbooks. There is the
>story of how the land on which Rushmore stands was expropriated from
>the Lakota Sioux in 1877, abrogating a major treaty. There is the
>story of the sculpture's creator and ideologue, Gutzon Borglum, a
>leader in the Ku Klux Klan, who saw in the expansion of European
>settlement across the American West the fulfillment of white racial
>destiny. Rushmore is prefigured in the story of Custer, who sealed
>the fate of the Black Hills when he discovered gold there in 1874.
>Larner traces the meaning and evolution of the Custer battle
>commemorations, and pursues the ways in which Custer's defeat, the
>killings at Wounded Knee, and Rushmore, are linked in the story of
>the Indians' loss of the Black Hills. Mount Rushmore also traces
>modern political uses of the monument, from Cold War television
>broadcasts to Boy Scout conventions to political campaigns. It looks
>at Rushmore's semi-religious status as the national shrine of
>Democracy, and contrasts this with political restrictions on the
>practice of Indian religions in the Black Hills. Finally, Larner
>deals with previous works on Rushmore that have avoided its message
>of conquest, preferring to focus on a simplistic narrative of
>national glory. Even the tour guides at Rushmore understand little
>of its real history, or of the legal fact that the land from which
>it rises belongs to the Lakota.
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=16-1560253460-2

Viewed in its full historical context, therefore, this example
illustrates how the story of "censorship from textbooks" involves a
whole lot more than the decision to mention or not mention some
monument. My old school textbooks never mentioned the genocide
against Native Americans, and judging from Larner's account, it seems
that this is something that ought to be mentioned when students learn
about Mount Rushmore -- unless, of course, we think "history" should
consist solely of self-congratulatory propaganda.

(3) With regard to depictions of things like "junk food,"
unfortunately there is no shortage of this in our schools. Channel
One, a for-profit company, provides video equipment and programming
to many cash-strapped schools throughout America, in exchange for
which the schools have signed contracts promising to show kids a
daily quota of TV commercials for companies like Pizza Hut. There is
a long and sad story (which I will truncate here) involving the use
of schools as marketing venues for fat- and sugar-laden fast foods.
If anyone wants to know more about this, read Marion Nestle's
excellent book, "Food Politics." (Nestle is a nutritionist who bears
no relation to the chocolate company.) One school got so carried away
by these promotional activities a few years back that it actually
suspended a student for the "disruptive" thought crime of wearing a
Pepsi T-shirt to a Coke Day rally. Here's an interview with the
student that I personally found amusing:
http://www.fadetoblack.com/interviews/mikecameron/

The bottom line is that all sorts of forces -- commercial, political
and social -- take an interest in influencing the way we educate our
youth. It isn't just coming from some "politically correct" clique.
And should we expect or want things otherwise? I think most of us
*hope* school boards would step in and exert editorial oversight if a
textbook referred to black people as "niggers" or described Hitler as
a great man. Judgments about appropriate content for textbooks don't
qualify as "censorship," and different people are bound to have
different views about what is and isn't appropriate. Some people may
think that a decision not to mention Mount Rushmore is absurd and
ridiculous. Outside our national cult of patriotism, however, I
imagine some folks in Europe and elsewhere think it is equally absurd
and ridiculous that Americans would revere a mountain-sized statue of
the heads of dead presidents.
--