[WikiEN-l] Back to the source no NPOV

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 13:00:17 UTC 2003

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> The Cunctator wrote:
> > Don't blame me! The problem is that what is
> defined on
> > [[Wikipedia:NPOV]] != "neutral point of view".
> That is, the concept
> > denoted by the four letters NPOV, as defined
> within the Wikipedia
> > context, is not congruous to the concept denoted
> by the phrase "neutral
> > point of view".
> >
> > This is a basic problem.
>
> Fair enough, I suppose.  It's jargon, and jargon is
> dangerous in that
> way.
>
> I'd recommend changing it, but it's so well
> entrenched in our culture
> now, that...
>
> --Jimbo

Before I joined Wikipedia, I'd always thought 'point
of view' meant who was the narrator in a story, like
first person, third person omnicient, etc. Maybe we
should invent a word to replace the clumsy acronym
"NPOV", since it is already so distanced from its
original meaning. Or we could just say "unbiased",
but, then again, FOX claims to be unbiased...
--LittleDan