[WikiEN-l] Back to the source no NPOV

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri May 23 05:58:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Geoff Burling wrote:
> > Well, ask anyone, & you'll most likely be told, ``I have a perfectly
> > NPOV. It's the rest of you who are biassed & don't know all of the
> > important facts." ;-)
>
> If someone says that, then they are confusing NPOV with "objective" or
> "unbiases" or "true" or "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" or
> something like that.

That was partly the point I meant to make, with humor. But the confusion
lies on more levels than just one: I've had numerous occasions to talk
with people who seriously express the POV I quoted above. (This comes
up a lot if one talks about religion.)

I hope all of us have found ourselves slipping into the fallicy I
alluded to in my brief comment; if not, either you're living in denial
or a better person than I will ever be. And it was meant to serve
as a reminder, like a string around a finger, that we can slip into
it unless we are careful.

That was all.

Geoff