[WikiEN-l] NPOV and controversial material

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 23 02:17:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Hmmm, I'm not sure where I fit into all that.  I don't think drugs are
> evil, I do think murder is bad.  I don't think "war is peace", not
> literally, but I *very strongly* supported the liberation of Iraq, and
> although I'm opposed to the death penalty, I do think it is possible
> that in some instances, killing people would help reduce murder rates.

I'm sure you meant to write, "Please let's not discuss politics on the
mailing list," but somehow it came out as a statement of your political
views. :(

There has been a ridiculous number of messages in the last twenty-four
hours about politics. Partly about the invasion of Iraq, but mostly about
U.S. laws regarding nudity in films, of all things! All utterly off-topic,
of course. Can we please not do this? All the analysis on the latter
subject is already covered in the relevant Wikipedia article anyway. What?
You mean it isn't? Oh, well, there's an opportunity for you...

Go and write [[Nudity in film]], or something... ;)

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |