[WikiEN-l] Admin nominations

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 01:11:59 UTC 2003

--- Anthere <anthere6 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nod.
> Recently, many people were proposed to be sysops.
> They
> were mostly sold the "trust" display, rather than
> what
> syosp really is (a police force). The more sysops
> there are, the less trust will be granted to non
> sysops, imho.
>
> This said, I deeply thank those who have expressed
> their trust in me :-)

I guess a sysop is more like a judge. I don't think it
is fair to say that sysops are a police force. Being a
policeman (or woman) implies doing something
compulsively, without consent, as opposed to someone
more like a judge, who consents all involved parties
as well as the rules/laws, the previous precedents,
and the jury (in this case the Wikipedia community). A
judge isn't required to give punishment. If he wants,
he can assign guilt without punishment, or even say
the defendant is completely innocent of any crime and
ignore the case. This is often frowned upon by the
people in the jurisdiction, so there are retrials
(except without the technicality that a procedural
error must have been committed; that can be found in
almost every case). Some may say that it is the
judge's responsibility to punish people in all cases
without consent or explicit reason, as the policemen
(agressive sysops) try to do, but the judges know that
they are better than that. They are not just here to
punish, they are here to judge.

That metaphor was a little off what I originally meant
to say, but now it is my new philosophy because I like
the metaphor so much :-)
--LittleDan