[WikiEN-l] Re: Lir and his clones

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 22 05:52:06 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>That said, I do want to say that any "dictatorial" type of system is
>inherently flawed and the results are only as good as the leadership and
>mediation skills of the current dictator (which can be anything between
>benevolent to malevolent).

A malevolent dictator would never have had the altruistic followers that
Jimbo has had here.  In such circumstances the 'pedia would have had far
fewer articles over the same time.

>The Romans started on the tract of a dictatorial-type system back with
>Augustus Caesar. Now Augustus was a great leader - just like Jimbo - but the
>system he created totally depended on the strength of charactor of the
>Emperor. So when a person with poor leadership skills or morals takes over in
>such a system then we have Neros and Caligulas.

I thought of a Roman emperor comparison when i was composing my previous
response to this, specifically Marcus Aurelius.

>We /do/ plan on changing the system as part of the process of setting up the
>Wikimedia Foundation, BTW, so there is nothing to be angry about.

My concern and support about the much bruited foundation has not been
based on the actions of our present dictator, but on insuring long term
continuity that would protect the project and make it self-sustaining
far into the future.

Ec