[WikiEN-l] Re: Lir and his clones

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Wed May 21 22:12:10 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 17:59, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

> I used to think that Lir would change. I also used to
> believe in Santa Claus (acutally I never did, but you
> get my point). Lir will never change.
>
> In all of the other wikis (except for the ones modeled
> after us), there is no "supreme-dictator-for-life" (as
> you put it, perhaps humorsly, in a previous post).
> Most other wikis despise that we have one person
> running the whole thing. I don't think we should keep
> doing your unpopular decisions just because you own
> the servers. When you created Wikipedia, you also gave
> up control of it. We are a community, not governed by
> one person, but by everyone. On many of the About,
> FAQ, and similar pages, you state that Wikipedia is an
> anarchy, but that really is not true. As long as you
> unilaterally make decisions like this, wikipedia will
> never be a true anarchy, always a dictatorship.
> --LittleDan

That's not true. Lir has changed and will continue to do so. Not
necessarily for the better, but he's a person, not a mythological
creature.

There are plenty of non-anarchistic wikis. MeatballWiki is ruled with a
velvet glove by Sunir Shah. Jimbo has made it plenty clear where the
limits of anarchy lie.

You're off base here.

If you're really concerned, then agitate for forking. I wouldn't bother,
and there are plenty of policies and decisions that I disagree with.

Finally, an anarchy is not governed by everyone--it's governed by noone.
You're thinking of a (true) democracy.