[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 21 11:48:50 UTC 2003

Richard Grevers wrote:
> I don't - although if their inclusion results in W being banned from
> schools etc then it becomes debatable as to whether inclusion is in
> Wikipedia's best interests.

I think that's right.  And I think LittleDan's concerns are
legitimate, quite apart from any questions of censorship.  The
question is: how do we present information that's potentially "hot" in
a fashion that's NPOV and educational and tasteful, and in the case in
point, would a drawing be better than a photo?

I have certainly in my day seen photos of genetalia that were tasteful
and "medical", as well as photos that were tasteless, as well as
photos that were tasteful and erotic.  As with any form of expression,
there's a thoughtful and responsible way to express what we want to
express, and we should do that.

> Well in the "free" United States since recent regulations, if someone
> posted information that certain agencies decided were an aid to terrorists,
> could not those agencies arrest Jimbo for refusing to disclose information
> on the user who posted it?

Not that it's really relevant right now, but I take the very rare
position among libertarians of finding that the Patriot Act provisions
that you're referring to are not nearly as draconian as most media
outlets and civil libertarins make them out to be.  It's not a good
law, but the changes that it made are much less than most people
realize.

I'll post more about this if people are interested.

--Jimbo