[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 21 11:39:13 UTC 2003

Richard Grevers wrote:
> Ok then, consider a parallel case: For many years, the Encyclopedia
> Brittanica contained quite detailed information on the extraction of
> opitates from poppies (it may still do for all I know, but the only copy I
> have access to is 1970's) - probably enough for someone to be able to
> replicate it. Or perhaps the case of chemical recipies for explosives -
> should Wikipedia, in the interests of being NPOV and encyclopedic, include
> these?

Yes, I think so.  There might be some practical reasons to refrain in
some cases, i.e. if a legal battle which threatened the future of the
project seemed likely, then a tough decision would have to be made as to
the best course of action.  But that's highly unlikely.

> Some information is suppressed for the "public good". In fact the
> scope of information that is suppressed is one of the key determinants of
> whether we regard a particular political environment as being "free" or
> not. -- Richard Grevers

Hopefully, wikipedia works in the service of the free flow of
information as much as we can.

--Jimbo