[WikiEN-l] Re: vandalism

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun May 18 23:45:25 UTC 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 13:39, koyaanis qatsi wrote:
> Hm, I've misunderstood something then.  How is it The
> Stick et al. can keep logging in under different
> accounts?

"Depending on one's Internet connection the IP address can be the same every
time, a static IP address, or different per session (but the first part being
the same each time): a dynamic IP address."

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

> > Are you just suggesting we make "vandals" think
> > that the wiki is "broken" so they'll go away?
>
> Yes.

Well, I'm sure that the numerous AOL users and others using major ISPs will be
thrilled to see the wiki is "broken" after some idiot wrote "u r al gay" in
one page and got the dynamic IP permanently banned. Then the developers will
get e-mails about "your site is down" and we won't know what the hell they're
talking about, because they can't describe what's happened so we can unblock
the IP.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)