[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia for education

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri May 16 18:32:15 UTC 2003

Fred Bauder wrote:

>It is in practice too. We share our library here with the local Charter
>School and I have set in the computer room watching and helping a student
>research a paper using Wikipedia. Educators have no particular axe to grind
>with the bulk of our articles (other than being nonexistant or incomplete).

Self-esteem is very important in some educational circles.  Where
children are able to fill in some of Wikipedia's inevitable gaps, and
have their work treated with the same value and respect as the work of a
university professor it will be a tremendous boost to self-esteem.

>Another activity I have noted is using editing a wikipedia article as a
>class project. You can see the results of one effort in the first paragraph
>of the [[bear]] article.

That's exactly the kind of thing we want to happen.

Ec