[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia for education

Andrew Smith ams80 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 16 12:56:39 UTC 2003

Hi Dan,

I have to disagree a bit I'm afraid. Before I discovered Wikipedia my
internet maths bible was  www.mathworld.wolfram.com, a pretty comprehensive
maths encyclopaedia. Now, revising for my final university maths exams I
probably use both Wolfram and Wikipedia with about equal frequency. I trust
Wikipedia's content because I know that lots of the maths related articles
have been looked over (or created) by users like Michael Hardy and Axel
Boldt. From their contributions it's clear that they know what they're
talking about (there's other users I could mention here).

I'm not convinced that Wikipedia's fallability is such a bad thing, it's a
good demonstration of the fact that you should never base something entirely
on one source. If I'm trying to understand a maths topic I'll generally look
it up on Wikipedia, Wolfram, the books on my shelves and the notes from my
lectures. None of these sources are perfect (sadly, especially my lecture
notes) but often the different explanations between the four can shed light
on the topic.

Also, I don't really have any idea how, for example, Britannica writes their
maths articles. Do they actually employ mathematicians to write them? Do
they get a list of Topics in Maths and do some googling? It's probably true
that Britannica have a lower error/article ratio than Wikipedia but it
doesn't mean I should have blind faith in them. In fact, I expect that the
more esoteric the topic, the more likely it is to have errors in it as it's
more difficult to check. Another example could be biographies of long dead
people, how much effort do they put into looking through contemporary
research on the person and how much do they, in effect, just reprint out of
date versions from years ago?

Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble so I'll wrap this up. My point is that used
properly (the same as every other resource) I believe that Wikipedia is a
useful educational resource.

Cheers,

Andrew (Ams80)