[WikiEN-l] Sysop Status - CatherineMunro

Jens Frank JeLuF at gmx.de
Thu May 15 23:46:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 07:10:52AM -0700, Catherine Munro wrote:

> I've occasionally wondered if it's been wise to use my real name as my
> username, given how easily unpleasantness can arise at Wikipedia and
> argumentative trolls can cause trouble for real people, but if people like
> Brion Vibber can do so, I suppose I can too.  Just for my own curiosity,
> would it be possible to change my username without creating a new account,
> and retain my watchlist etc.?

It is possible to change the username. What's difficult to change are the
signatures you made to Talk:-page contributions. While the username is only
one field in the database that can be easily changed by a developer, the
signatures are text in the middle of an article. It would take very long
to replace all those.

Requesting a user name change should not be done easily. We currently need
our developers time to improve wikipedia's performance!

	Regards,

		JeLuF