[WikiEN-l] How do I use my newfound powers, and not abuse them?

Jens Frank JeLuF at gmx.de
Thu May 15 21:25:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 01:23:25PM -0600, Fred Bauder wrote:
> Adding "my ass-crack will suffer the consequences of the bong-hole!" to an
> article on the French Revolution is well beyond the limits of any doubt. The
> only thing that might hold back a ban is if that is the address of AOL, MSN
> or some similar large isp.
>
> Fred

If it's only one edit, don't ban. He just tried whether he can hit the
"Save"-button. A ban only raises the vandals interest in messing around
even more. I usually open a "User contributions" page and reload it after
5 to 10 minutes. If the user has made more edits, I revert them. I repeat
this 2 or 3 times. If he's still around, I ban him. This is less work
then looking up the IP and check whether it's a permanent or dynamic IP
or a web proxy or so.

Regards,

	jens