[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia for education

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 20:55:09 UTC 2003

LittleDan wrote:
> For wikipedia to be an valid educational source, it
> needs to have some kind of approval system. From what
> I understand, this has been discussed since Day 1 of
> Wikipedia, but I think it is time to impliment it. If
> wikipedia is ever to be printed or used in schools, it
> must be scrutinized and validated (or invalidated) on
> an article-by-article basis.

Well in order to be "acceptable" in at least US public schools, Wikipedia
would have to dramatically censored. Sadly, state and local school boards in
the US have effectively censored the content of textbooks by not accepting
material that could possibly be offensive to a very long list of lobby groups
(both on the right and left of the political spectrum).

Until individual teachers in US public schools (possibly elsewhere) have a
much greater ability to choose their own textbooks and resource materials, I
don't foresee Wikipedia (as we know it) being used in any official capacity.

But private schools and colleges/universities present a tottally different
situation (professors have much greater freedom in their textbook/resource
choices). If we have any sort of "approval system" it should be geared toward
that audience.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)