[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 14 21:57:00 UTC 2003

Richard-
> Ok then, consider a parallel case: For many years, the Encyclopedia
> Brittanica contained quite detailed information on the extraction of
> opitates from poppies (it may still do for all I know, but the only copy I
> have access to is 1970's) - probably enough for someone to be able to
> replicate it. Or perhaps the case of chemical recipies for explosives -
> should Wikipedia, in the interests of being NPOV and encyclopedic, include
> these?

Depends on whether they cross the threshold of potential legal liability.

> Some information is suppressed for the "public good".

This is wrong. Censorship will never increase the public good. Those who
desire the information in question to do harm will find channels through
which they can obtain it, since they are already willing to commit a
crime. Meanwhile, those who need the information in order to prevent harm
will have difficulty finding it.

The only forms of censorship Wikipedia should abide by are those demanded
by United States law (or the respective local equivalents for the
international Wikipedias).

Regards,

Erik