[WikiEN-l] JohnQ / MaryMary - the clitoris guy

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 14 14:41:00 UTC 2003

> -+- Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm just uncomftorble with nudity in Wikipedia
>> in general, although drawings are okay.

> I too am not too keen on nudity.

> I feel that an encyclopedia ofour caliber can really positively
> impact the lives and education of younger people. By which I mean
> anyone who can read and click a mouse (I don't know how old that is,
> but my guess is around 4 years old)

> I would want to be able to send a 10 year old inquisitive mind to the
> W without any reservation.

Your parenting methods are your own business. However, if nudity is
appropriate and informative in an article, it should be treated like any
other material addition. The display of nudity for educational purposes is
legal in almost every non-theocratic nation, including, as far as I can
tell, the United States.

The problem with the clitoris photo inserted by MaryMary was that it was
not particularly informative (the clitoris itself was barely visible),
that it looked like it was cropped from a porn picture, and that the
copyright status was unclear. This is why I objected to having it,
otherwise I would have insisted on adding at the very least a direct link
to the picture, stored on the Wikipedia server. A photo and a drawing are
far from the same thing, and if your 10 year old inquisitive mind wants to
know what a clitoris is, it helps tremendously to actually see a photo
thereof. Abstractions have advantages and disadvantages, usually, both are
required, especially for children.

Regards,

Erik