[WikiEN-l] 172's sysop request (was "Communist state and rudeness")

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 03:48:11 UTC 2003

Unbelievable - you are the one that violates [[Wikipetiquette]] and then you
demand an apology from me? Have you apologized to tc and Fred for calling
them vandals and saying that they should be banned? How about to Stan for
saying he is on a "ridiculous crusade"?

Or what you said to JT about other users: "... but if just about anybody else
[besides JT] has worked on it...might as well delete that crap and start
over." That, IMO, does not imply a team spirit.

Or what you said /to/ SL: "I've explained this concept to children who've had
no problems understanding it. Do you have any basic understanding of the
forms of government in Laos, China, Cuba, North Korea, and Vietnam?"

How about this recent comment:
"Do you know the damn difference between opinion and proper content for an
encyclopedia? "

I'm known for giving offense at times but I'm also known for realizing when I
was wrong and quickly apologizing (at one time I was often rude - but over
time I've tried to improve and embrace Jimbo's concept of WikiLove -
especially since Jimbo banned DW for being abusive and stated that
Wikipetiquette will be an enforced policy). In this case I believe my
criticism is valid and was delivered in as nice a way as possible considering
the circumstances. But in the spirit of WikiLove I apologize for not
qualifying this sentence:

""A person who acts so badly and without backing off, apologizing or accepting
their own POV, is, IMO, very likely to abuse any power they may have over
others."

I should have instead wrote: "A person, who in my experience, has consistently
acted badly, seldom backs-off or apologizes to others after violating
Wikipetiquette and seems to be unable to comprehend that adding a great deal
of information (however accurate) from a certain viewpoint and failing to add
major alternate viewpoints, is placing POV into an article (like going on and
on about all the good things Saddam Hussein did for Iraq while failing to
mention the major downsides of his regime and his harsh treatment of his own
people). That type of person is, IMO, likely to leverage any power he may
have over others (or at the very least, likely to give Adminhood a bad name
and add fuel to the charges of arbitrary use of Admin powers).

This is not to say that 172's should be banned (perhaps warned for his
Wikipetiquette violations) but it does indictate, to me at least, that he
would not make a good Admin."

The statements expressed here are just my opinions based on my perception of
172's actions and should not be taken as a personal attack.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)